Coaley is in Gloucestershire 3 miles from the town of Dursley, and 5 miles from the town of Stroud. The village extends from the edge of the Cotswold Hills at Coaley Peak viewpoint, towards the River Cam at Cam and Cambridge and the Severn Estuary beyond. The picture above was taken from Cam Long Down and shows Coaley viewed from the south with the Cotswold edge on the right and the River Severn on the left. Coaley has a population of around 770.
Coaley has many amenities, including a 300-year-old pub, the Fox and Hounds, the Coaley C of E Primary School, a church, a village hall, and a community shop. Cam and Dursley railway station (near the former Coaley Junction station) was reopened in 1994 (the original closed in 1965) and is situated on the South-Western border of the village.
Coaley is a very active village with many clubs and societies. Coaley also holds an annual produce show, which has been held since 1942 on the first Saturday in September.
In 2003, Coaley was crowned Gloucestershire village of the year in a Calor-sponsored competition organised by Gloucestershire Rural Community Council, and went on to pick up a runner-up prize in the national competition, in recognition of local residents' efforts to develop community organisations and enterprises.